As a school of Computing, Science and Engineering, we have 9 PC labs that are open to all students. Our AAV students normally use 3 particular PC labs that have AAV related software installed, such as Adobe Audition and MatLab. Depending on your programme, you use these labs for learning computer programming (using Visual Studio .net), multimedia development (using Macromedia Flash), web design (using Macromedia Dreamweaver) and digital audio processing (using Matlab).
The labs are accessed by swipe card and are available upto 21:00 each evening.
The University has a special licensing arrangement with Microsoft that allows distribution of some of their products to University students.
Studios and laboratories
- Audio production suites - containing PCs and Macs for audio production using Pro Tools and Reason.
- Video post production suites - containing PCs and Macs for video production using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite.
- TV Studios - containing PCs and Macs for video production using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Radio Studios - containing PCs and Macs for video production using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Digital Media Performance Lab - a 100 seat multi-media performance space used for live sound.
- Recording studios - a set of four fully acoustically treated studios, each with its own live room.
- Anechoic chamber - a room with no echoes used to measure, for example, directionality of loudspeakers. Includes a virtual tour.
- Semi-anechoic chambers
- Reverberation chambers - rooms with little absorption, used to measure, for example, the absorption of concert hall seating. Includes a virtual tour.
- Transmission suite - two rooms used to measure how much sound goes through the walls of buildings
- Listening room - used to carry out subjective tests, for example on audio quality.
- Undergraduate laboratory - for electronics and acoustics, audio and video experiments.
- Project laboratory - containing specialist experimental equipment for final year, MSc and research projects.
- Computer laboratories - a set of PC labs for teaching programming, web design and digital audio processing.