Undergrad final year project students, taught MSc students and postgraduate researchers have access to this space, which contains a wide variety of equipment extending the capabilities described for the undergrad lab. Our largest recent lab investment is our scanning laser Doppler interferometer, which enables non-contact measurement of the surface vibrations of all sorts of interesting objects – loudspeakers, headphone and tweeter diaphragms, building elements (metal cladding and skylights to name two recent examples) etc. Also located in this lab are a range of multi-channel narrowband analysers (B&K, 01dB, OnoSokki) which are used for data acquisition. We have extensive vibro-acoustic test equipment – IEPE and charge accelerometers, force hammers, tachometers and calibrators. There are also flow resistivity apparatus for materials characterisation, and vacuum apparatus for loudspeaker investigations where the air-load can be removed. The group have extensive experience of outdoor sound propagation work, and in separate store are a large variety of microphones, masts, analysers / loggers, and high-power noise sources used for work in this area.
Studios and laboratories
- Audio production suites - containing PCs and Macs for audio production using Pro Tools and Reason.
- Video post production suites - containing PCs and Macs for video production using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite.
- TV Studios - containing PCs and Macs for video production using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Radio Studios - containing PCs and Macs for video production using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Digital Media Performance Lab - a 100 seat multi-media performance space used for live sound.
- Recording studios - a set of four fully acoustically treated studios, each with its own live room.
- Anechoic chamber - a room with no echoes used to measure, for example, directionality of loudspeakers. Includes a virtual tour.
- Semi-anechoic chambers
- Reverberation chambers - rooms with little absorption, used to measure, for example, the absorption of concert hall seating. Includes a virtual tour.
- Transmission suite - two rooms used to measure how much sound goes through the walls of buildings
- Listening room - used to carry out subjective tests, for example on audio quality.
- Undergraduate laboratory - for electronics and acoustics, audio and video experiments.
- Project laboratory - containing specialist experimental equipment for final year, MSc and research projects.
- Computer laboratories - a set of PC labs for teaching programming, web design and digital audio processing.